5. Personal Licence

The Personal Licence is designed to ensure that anybody running or managing a business that sells or supplies alcohol will do so in a professional fashion. Once you obtain a personal licence you may act as the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) for any business that sells or supplies alcohol. You can only apply for a personal licence to the local authority of where you reside.

A premises licensed to sell alcohol must have a DPS. Once you have obtained your personal licence you can act as DPS at any licensed premises, regardless of whether it is within your local authority area or not.

Eligibility Criteria

  • Be 18 years of age or over
  • Hold an accredited qualification (Award for Personal Licence Holders)
  • Obtain a Basic Disclosure Barring Service Certificate (date on certificate must not be more than 1 month old at the time of applying)
  • Evidence of the right to work in the UK

Personal licences are granted with an indefinite expiry date; however, a personal licence will cease to have effect if the holder ceases to be entitled to work in the UK (for instance if their resident permit expires and they are unable to extend or renew it).

Alongside a completed application form, you are also required to submit a Disclosure of Convictions Declaration Form.