Coronavirus: National lockdown

Stay home. Only go out for food, medical reasons, exercise, education or work. Avoid travel unless essential. You must work from home if you can.

Coronavirus: Information and advice

The Licensing Act 2003 governs the sale of alcohol by retail, the supply of alcohol in members clubs, regulated entertainment and the provision of late night opening for food outlets.

Make a representation

Residents can make a statement about an application if they feel measures have not been put in place to prevent disturbance to local residents. Representations can also be made in support of an application.

Application forms

A premises licence authorises the use of premises for the sale of alcohol, entertainment or late night refreshment.

Late night refreshment is defined as the sale of hot food or drink between the hours of 11.00pm and 5.00am.

Holding Events

Please refer to the Council’s guidance on holding events and the notification procedures:



Provisional statement:

Premises licence:

Vary a premises licence:

Minor Variation:

Transfer a premises licence:

Consent of premises licence holder to transfer:

Interim Authority Notice

Is there a renewal process for a premises licence?

No. A premises licence is granted indefinitely but can be transferred to another person or company. It only ceases if it is surrendered or if the holder becomes insolvent, mentally incapable or dies.

However, an annual fee is payable, on the anniversary of the date that the licence was granted. We will send you a reminder when your payment is due. Your licence will be suspended if you do not pay the annual fee.


Consent of individual to being specified as premises supervisor:

Vary a designated premises supervisor:

Personal licences:

If you intend to be a Designated Premises Supervisor and/or authorise the sale of alcohol you will need a personal licence.

Temporary events

The serving of a temporary event notice allows the premises user to carry out licensable activities for a short period of time.

There are restrictions on the length of time you can carry out such activities and how often you can serve notices.

Private club premises

If you are involved in the running of a private members club such as a political club, working members club or Masonic lodge and the club is run not for profit you will need a club premises certificate.


  • Pay online
  • Pay over the phone: 0161 770 6611 (select option 2)

Quote Paying in Code: E36455050D9.

Premises/club application/variation

  • Band A (No value to £4300): £100
  • Band B (£4,301 to £33,000): £190
  • Band C (33,001 to £87,000): £315
  • Band D (87,001 to £125,000): £450
  • Band E (£125,001 and above): £635

Minor variation to premises licence or club premises certificate

  • £89

Town centre multiplier

  • Band D: £900
  • Band E: £1905

Premises/club annual fee

  • Band A (No value to £4300): £70
  • Band B (£4,301 to £33,000): £180
  • Band C (33,001 to £87,000): £295
  • Band D (87,001 to £125,000): £320
  • Band E (£125,001 and above): £350

Provisional statement

  • £195

Temporary event notices

Valid for a maximum of 96 hours.

  • £21

Personal licence

Valid for 10 years.

  • £37

Premises transfer

  • £23

Transfer of Designated Premises Supervisor

  • £23

Exemption from Designated Premises Supervisor at community/village halls

  • £23

Interim authority

  • £23

Notification of interest

  • £21

Change of name or address

  • £10.50

Copy of licence

  • £10.50