Further housing support | Your home | Oldham Council

4. Further housing support

To help you prepare for adult life, we will support you to complete a:

  • social housing application
  • and/or to secure private rented accommodation in line with your wishes and your Pathway Plan

We will also offer you support to make a Housing Benefit claim if you are on low income or not in work.

Young People (under 25s) normally get rent payments at the cost of a room in a shared house.

Care Leavers (between 18 and 21) can get the rate for a one bedroom instead.

When you turn 22, you can only get the shared accommodation amount.

Be aware of this if you are moving to a new home.

As a Care Leaver you may also be entitled to:

  • Council Tax exemption up until the age of 21 years
  • Reduction in council tax through Second Adult Rebate.

Like Housing Benefit, you can qualify for Council Tax Benefit if you are not working or on a low income.

If you have savings of over £16,000 you cannot normally get this benefit.

All your benefit entitlements will need to be confirmed with the Benefits Agency.

Your Personal Advisor will be there as always to support you to attend appointments as needed.