6. Appeals

If you are unhappy with the support you are offered you can make an appeal.

Contact the  Social Work Team Manager to make an appeal.

If you are still not satisfied, you can go to the Appeals Panel. The Appeals Panel is made up of the Head of Additional and Complex Needs Service for Children and professionals from Health and Social Care.

If you are still not happy then you can further appeal by contacting the Associate Assistant Director Family and Youth Support, or you can lodge a complaint following the Council's complaint procedure (See: Services for children and families complaints).