2. Council Tax Levels and Budget Information
The main sources of income that support the Council’s net revenue expenditure budget are:
- Council Tax (including the Adult Social Care Precept)
- Business Rates
- Central Government Grants
The following tables and information show:
- Council Tax levels for 2022/23 compared to 2021/22
- Gross Income and Expenditure levels
- How the Council’s budget has changed compared to 2021/22
- A summary of where money is spent and where funding comes from
Council Tax Levels
The Council Tax payable for 2022/23 for Band D properties is presented below. It is split into separate elements and includes a comparison against 2021/22 charges, where appropriate.
|Council Tax Element||
|Oldham Council Services||1,538.97||1,573.25||34.28||* 1.99|
|Adult Social Care Precept||183.97||218.43||34.46||* 2.00|
|Council Tax for Council Services||1,722.94||1,791.68||68.74||3.99|
|Mayoral Police and Crime Commissioner Precept||218.30||228.30||10.00||4.58|
|Mayoral General Precept (including Fire Services)||90.95||102.95||12.00||13.19|
|TOTAL BAND D COUNCIL TAX||2,032.19||2,122.93||90.74||4.47|
|Saddleworth Parish Council||23.51||24.31||0.80||3.40|
|Shaw & Crompton Parish Council||17.37||17.89||0.52||3.00|
* Percentage increase compared to 2021/22 Council Tax for Oldham Council Services of £1,722.94.
The Council was required to calculate its Relevant Basic Amount of Council Tax to determine whether it needed to hold a Council Tax referendum. A referendum would have been required if there had been an increase above the level Central Government considers to be excessive.
This “excessiveness” is determined annually but for 2022/23 for Oldham was set at a 4% increase above the respective Council Tax for the previous year, comprising a maximum of 2% for Adult Social Care and 2% for other Council Services. The increase of 3.99% shown in the table above was not therefore classed as excessive and did not trigger a referendum.
The amounts shown for Saddleworth and Shaw and Crompton Parish Councils are only payable by residents living in those Parish areas.