What is Council Tax?

Council Tax is a property-based tax, with a personal element.

The basis of the tax is that a property is occupied by two adult residents. In such a case, half the tax will relate to the property element and half to the personal element.

Oldham Council collects Council Tax for its own purposes and also on behalf of Saddleworth and Shaw & Crompton Parish Councils and the Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA) which now, following the election of the Greater Manchester Mayor, precepts for two components, the Mayoral Police and Crime Commissioner Precept and the Mayoral General Precept (including Fire Services).

It is not a direct payment for services so it must be paid whether you use the services or not.

What does it pay for in Oldham?

The Oldham Council element of your Council Tax helps to pay for services we provide throughout the borough, like:

  • Protecting and supporting older people and vulnerable adults
  • Protecting and supporting children and young people
  • Collecting, recycling and disposing of your rubbish
  • Maintaining roads, pavements and street lighting, and cleaning your streets
  • Running your libraries and leisure centres
  • Looking after your parks and open spaces
  • More than 500 other services including planning, trading standards, elections, cemeteries and births, marriages and deaths 

Your Council Tax also pays for levies (payments we have to make to other organisations) for services such as public transport and waste disposal.

The Adult Social Care Precept element of your Council Tax was introduced from 1 April 2016 and helps fund the increasing cost of providing Adult Social Care services.

Separate elements of your Council Tax also contribute towards the services provided by:

  • The Mayor as Police and Crime Commissioner for Greater Manchester
  • The Mayor for general functions including those previously provided by the Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority
  • Saddleworth Parish Council (for residents in Saddleworth)
  • Shaw and Crompton Parish Council (for residents in Shaw and Crompton)