Does your child have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan?
- NO: go to Apply for a school place
- DON'T KNOW: see more about EHC plans
- YES: continue on this page . . .
If your child has an Education, Health and Care plan, you have the right to request a place in any state school, or certain non-maintained or independent special schools that cater for children with special educational needs or a disability.
The council must agree to your request unless:
- the school would be unsuitable for the age, ability, aptitude or needs of the child; or
- the child's presence in the school would negatively affect the education of other children; or
- it would not be an efficient use of resources.
If this happens, and you disagree with the decision, you can ask for a tribunal to review it. See Disagreements and mediation.
If the council agrees to your request, it will send the school a copy of your child's draft EHC plan.
If the school is further away than a local school, you will have to pay the extra travel costs.