Does your child have an Education, Health, and Care (EHC) plan?

If your child has an Education, Health and Care plan, you have the right to request a place in any state school, or certain non-maintained or independent special schools that cater for children with special educational needs or a disability.

The council must agree to your request unless:

  • the school would be unsuitable for the age, ability, aptitude or needs of the child; or
  • the child's presence in the school would negatively affect the education of other children; or
  • it would not be an efficient use of resources.

If this happens, and you disagree with the decision, you can ask for a tribunal to review it. See:

If the council agrees to your request, it will send the school a copy of your child's draft EHC plan.

If the school is further away than a local school, you will have to pay the extra travel costs.

Questions to ask schools

Questions you may wish to ask schools about their support for children with special educational needs and disabilities.