If your child is starting reception or secondary school and has special education needs/disability, it is important that you make an application for a school place. You must not wait until notification is received of whether or not an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan will/will not be issued.
Not all applications for an EHC Plan are successful and even if they are, your child may not be offered a place in a special school.
If you are uncertain about the process please contact the school admissions team on 0161 770 4213 or email email@example.com
Learn more about EHC Plans
Developed by the Council for Disabled Children, these easy to follow short animations are for parents, carers, children and young people, practitioners and others who want to learn more about EHC plan.
- What is an Education, Health and Social Care (EHC) plan?
- What is an Annual Review of an Education, Health and Social Care (EHC) plan?
Requesting an EHC Assessment
The following people have the specific right to ask the Local Authority (LA) to conduct an EHC needs assessment for a child or young person aged between 0-25:
- the child or young person’s parent parent;
- a young person over the age of 16 but under the age of 25;
- a person acting on behalf of a school or post-16 institution (ideally with the knowledge and agreement of the parent or young person where possible);
- a child or young person under 19 in youth custodial establishments – or their parent or a professional working with them (being introduced from April 2015).
Other people can bring a child or young person who has, or may have SEN, to the attention of the LA – e.g. foster carers, health and social care professionals, early years practitioners, youth offending teams, probation services, educational professionals from custody placements, school or college staff or family friends.
- G1 Oldham guidelines checklist and referral form for EHCP Guidelines for needs assessment V2 - Guidelines to be applied when considering whether to carry out an Education, Health and Care needs assessment
- G3 Criteria for education settings to commence a statutory assessment of SEND - Outline of the EHC assessment process
If you have any questions about submitting a request for assessment please contact the Access Service:
- Phone: 0161 770 4269
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org