Website maintenance - Thursday 18 July

We are carrying out some website maintenance on Thursday 18 July between 11am and 2pm. My Account and some online forms may be unavailable during this time. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Important Update: Food Hygiene Inspection Team

Our Food Hygiene Inspection Team is currently dealing with a high number of service requests from new food business operators.

Please do not contact the team, or the contact centre, requesting an inspection date for your business.

Once you have registered your business online, it will be inspected by an officer in due course - we do not give out set dates. If an officer needs to contact you, they will use the details from your online registration form.


If you are a new food business or taking over a food business you must register at least 28 days before you start to trade.

Registration is required if you intend to  store, prepare, distribute or sell food.

Premises include restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans, food delivery vans and businesses run from home.

If you run a food business for 5 or more days in any consecutive 5 weeks, you must notify us. 

You can notify the Food Safety team by completing the registration form.

There is no charge for this. 

What food business owners need to know

You may need planning permission if there is a change of use or you are making alterations

There is a host of useful information on the Food Standards Agency ( FSA) website. There is advice on this website about starting up a new businesses. You can download a Safer Food Better Business food safety management pack and you can find out more advice about general food safety and food standards requirements

Safer food, better business (SFBB), is a national food safety management system aimed at helping smaller food businesses to put in place food safety management procedures and comply with food hygiene regulations. There are different ones for different types of business 

Connect with local and national support services for assistance and advice. 

Food - Premises Approval (Manchester have a good online form)

To operate a business that manufactures or processes meat, meat products including minced meat, fish or fishery products including shellfish, milk, dairy products and collagen must be approved by us. The legislation can be complicated and you will need to complete an application form. Further guidance and information is available and the form can be downloaded from the FSA website

As an Approved Premises, you must notify us of any change of circumstances. 

Please contact the Food Safety Team:

T: 0161 770 2244