Problems paying your Council Tax | Problems paying your Council Tax | Oldham Council
Coronavirus update and advice

Stay at home as much as possible, work from home if you can, limit contact with other people, keep your distance if you go out (2 metres apart where possible), wash your hands regularly.

More information

We know that this is a difficult time for many of our residents and that the coronavirus is having a significant impact on the economy.

Your Council Tax pays for essential services in Oldham including Social Care. If your circumstances have not changed, it is really important that you continue to make the payments as set out on your bill.

Up to £150 discounts for working-age people receiving Council Tax Reduction

People of working age who receive Council Tax Reduction will receive an additional reduction in their Council Tax payments of up to £150. If your total bill for the 2020/21 financial year is less than £150 your bill will be reduced to zero.

You don’t need to contact us or do anything.

We are working on awarding these reductions at the moment, we hope to start to make payments to your Council Tax bill towards the end of July.

In the meantime continue to make your Council Tax payments in line with your Council Tax bill. If you pay too much we will refund any credit to you.

Difficulties paying

If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax, we wanted to make you aware of the support available and how the Council can help you if you have been affected.


Make sure that you have claimed all the benefits that you are entitled to.

For working age families:

Payment plans

Special payment plans can be agreed on request.

For example, the Council Tax due for 2020/21 can be split over 9 months, from July 2020 to March 2021, meaning that you will not have to pay anything until July.

Overdue Council Tax

Enforcement Agent (bailiff) visits to collect overdue Council Tax have been suspended until the end of June 2020.

Exceptional Hardship Payments

The Exceptional Hardship Payments scheme is available to help those experiencing severe financial hardship in paying their Council Tax:


The Council has suspended the issue of formal reminders to residents but strongly encourage those who are struggling to pay to contact us at the earliest opportunity so that we can discuss payment arrangements and ensure you are getting all the benefits, discounts, exemptions you are entitled to.

Our team will help ensure you receive support and advice about payment arrangements and want to help. Please contact us via email at rather than by telephone as our Contact Centre is receiving high levels of calls. We will come back to you as promptly as possible.

Independent advice

For free independent money and debt advice you can contact any of the following organisations for help and support:

  • StepChange Debt Charity providing free advice when dealing with problem debts
  • Citizens Advice for help with budgeting and managing your money. Oldham CAB also provide face to face support within the borough
  • Money Advice Service A Government service providing free and impartial money advice
  • National Debt line free confidential and independent advice on how to deal with debt problems
  • MoneyAware providing advice and information to help people from falling into problem debt

For further advice on manging your money, you can visit making the most of your money