Housing Benefit is a national welfare benefit to help you to pay your rent if you are on a low income.
Who is it for?
Anyone paying rent in council property, privately rented accommodation, hostels and housing association accommodation (if you live in privately rented accommodation you may be eligible for a Local Housing Allowance).
You may also be eligible for Discretionary Housing Payments if your Housing Benefit is less than the full amount of your rent.
Change of circumstances
You must tell the council if any of your circumstances change.
You need to complete this form if you currently claim Housing Benefit in Oldham and:
- You no longer require benefit
- You have moved/are moving address within the borough
- You or your partner have had a change in income
- Your Housing Benefit is currently suspended due to you or your partner’s DWP benefits ending. (You will need to advise us of you or your partners income since your benefit ended e.g. wages, hardship payments, no income)
- You have had a change in household members
- Any other changes e.g. if you want to change who we pay benefits to (partner/spouse), a change in bank account details, a change in your property, a change of capital
Housing Benefit temporary absence from Great Britain rule changes
The Government has changed the rules on Housing Benefit, meaning people can now spend only four consecutive weeks living outside Great Britain and away from their home.
Apply for housing benefit
You can use the online form to calculate what you may be entitled to and make a claim.
You only need to complete this form if:
- You have never claimed Housing Benefit before in Oldham
- You do not already receive Housing Benefit in Oldham
If your Housing Benefit claim is currently suspended please complete the change of circumstances form.
Payment of your Housing Benefit
Oldham Council pay housing benefit by BACS only. We no longer make payment by Cheque. You will need to provide relevant bank details so we can pay your housing benefit, by completing a BACS transfer form:
If your landlord is a housing association then you will have the choice of having your housing benefit paid to yourself or your landlord.
If your landlord is a private landlord, under the local housing allowance scheme we will normally make payment to you by BACS.
If you feel you would not be able to cope with receiving the benefit payments then please provide this information to us, by completing a safeguard application form
If payment is made to you, then you will be paid fortnightly in arrears.
If payment is made to your landlord, then they will be paid monthly in arrears.
View your claim
You can view a summary of a current claim online. (You'll need to register or log in to My Account)