Housing Benefit | Housing Benefit and help to pay your rent | Oldham Council

2. Housing Benefit

If you’re on a low income you could get Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent.

Claim Housing Benefit

If your Housing Benefit is less than the full amount of your rent you may be eligible for Discretionary Housing Payments.

If you live in privately rented accommodation your housing benefit will be based on the Local Housing Allowance for your address.

Council Tax Reduction

You can claim money off your Council Tax, called ‘Council Tax Reduction’, on the same online form as you claim Housing Benefit.

You may also qualify for other discounts on your Council Tax. Sorry, you need to claim those discounts on another part of the website.

So when you have claimed Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction, go to Money off your Council Tax

View your Housing Benefit claim

You can view a summary of a current claim online in My Account:

Don't have an account? Create one now.


Oldham Council pays Housing Benefit by BACS.  You will need to provide relevant bank details so we can pay your Housing Benefit, by completing a BACS transfer form:

If your landlord is a housing association then you will have the choice of having your Housing Benefit paid to yourself or your landlord. 

If your landlord is a private landlord, under the Local Housing Allowance scheme, we will normally make payment to you by BACS. 

If payment is made to you, then you will be paid fortnightly in arrears.

If payment is made to your landlord, then they will be paid monthly in arrears.

Spare Room Subsidy

Spare Room Subsidy cuts the amount of Housing Benefit that you can get if you are considered to have a spare bedroom: