My money doesn’t go far enough | Help with money problems | Oldham Council

5. My money doesn’t go far enough

Making your income and household budgets stretch can be a struggle, especially for low-income families who may need help when dealing with:

  • Deciding between food and fuel
  • Low income or zero-hours contracts
  • Unsure of eligibility to claim benefits
  • Change of circumstances (e.g. a new baby, bereavement, illness, benefit reduction)
  • Unsure how to manage my money or overspending

Ask Bill

A public benefit entity, who support people in hardship, with a free and impartial information service.

Benefits check

A benefits check can ensure you are receiving your maximum entitlement and you can receive help to claim benefits.

Healthy Start vouchers

If you’re pregnant or have a child under four years old you can also ask the advisor about Healthy Start vouchers:

Energy advice

If you’re struggling to pay your energy bills you may be able to get support to reduce your bills, apply for a warm home discount, or access other grants:

Discretionary Housing Payment

Payments may be awarded if you are struggling to pay your rent and do not already receive full housing benefit.

You must already be in receipt of some Housing Benefit, or the housing element of Universal Credit.

How to budget with a monthly benefit payment

Making a monthly Universal Credit payment stretch can be a challlenge.

The best way to manage your money, is to make a household budget.

Who can help you with these problems?

Citizens Advice

  • Phone: 08082 787803

Christians Against Poverty

  • Phone: 0800 328 0006

Warm Homes

  • Phone:  0800 019 1084