Could you be a School Governor?
School governors represent the largest volunteer force in the country with approximately 1% of the adult population serving in this capacity at any one time. To become a school governor you can either contact the school where you would like to become a governor or contact the Governor Support Service at Oldham Council.
Anyone who is a legal resident in the UK and is over 18 can become a governor. You do not need to be a parent or a parent of a student at the school or college.
Types of School Governors
There are different types of governors:
- Parent governors - elected by the parents of children in the school
- Co-opted governors - appointed by the governing body and might include local business people or members of local community groups
- Local Authority governors - members of the community who may be elected members with an interest in the school and skills required to meet the schools skills gap. Applications are endorsed by the Cabinet Member and Shadow Cabinet Member for Education and Early Years and appointed will be made by the full governing body.
- Staff governors - elected by both the teaching and support staff at the school
- Foundation governors - appointed by the body which established the school, for example, the church
- Headteacher - if they choose to be a governor
Do you have…
- The ability to form effective working relationships with fellow governors and staff
- The ability to enquire, scrutinise, challenge and actively support the work of the senior staff of the school?
- The desire to work hard as a volunteer for the benefit of the children, families and staff?
- The ability to look at issues objectively
- The confidence to ask questions and join in debate?
- The willingness to listen and make informed judgments?
- Willing to act honestly, openly and with integrity?
I would like to be a school governor, what do I do next?
If you want to be a governor of a particular school you could visit and show an interest. You could talk to the Headteacher or the Chair of governors and make sure that they can contact you if parent governor or community governor vacancies arise.
They can also pass your name to other appointing governing bodies.
LA Governor Application
For LA governors your skills will be matched against skills required for the individual governing body. LA governor appointment will require endorsement by the Cabinet Member and Shadow Cabinet Member for Education and Early Years. All applications will be considered and approved by the schools full governing body who will formally make the appointment.
Co-opted Governor Application
For co-opted governors your skills will be matched against skills required for the individual school governing body. All applications will be considered and approved by the schools full governing body who will formally make the appointment.
To register your interest please complete the Governor Expression of Interst form: Governor Expression of Interest form
Alternatively you can contact the Governor Support Service for more information.
Telephone: 0161 770 1808