The licensing of private rented properties has been happening in certain areas of Oldham since 2015. 

Following a comprehensive review and consultation, the Council has determined that a new selective licensing scheme is required in certain areas in Oldham.  

This means that any privately rented properties within these areas, will require a licence to operate from 4 July 2022.

Is my property in a Selective Licensing area?

Check if your rented property is in a Selective Licensing area and therefore requires a licence application:


Licence Fee - this is a total of £582 for each licence.

The fee is split into two payments: 

Fee on the provision of the completed application form: £340.34

Fee to be paid if licence is granted: £241.66

To make an application 

What do I need before making my application?

You will need:

  1. A current electrical installation condition report, dated within the last 5 years, (this is a legal requirement for all rented properties from 1 April 2021).  The electrician’s details should be legible, so that registration with an approved scheme can be verified.  The report should state that the installation is satisfactory and that there are no Code 1or Code 2 defects.
  2. A current gas safety certificate, with the engineer’s details and Gas Safety registration number legible.
  3. Management statement – this is a copy of the agreement between the owner and any managing agent, setting out the responsibilities for the letting, repair and maintenance of the property.  Landlords who self-manage their properties should upload a letter confirming that this is the case.
  4. Tenancy agreement – a copy of the tenancy agreement for the property.
  5. Proof of address – this is proof of the licence holder’s address, dated within the last six months.  It can be a bank statement, utility bill or other official correspondence, but must be issued by an independent third party.

These documents should be in electronic format, so that they can be uploaded as part of the application process.

If you are an owner, you should select leaseholder or freeholder as applicable.  

Managing agents should select managing agent.

Who to notify that you are applying

You should notify anyone with a legal interest in the property to your application as an interested party. 

This includes joint owners as well as any mortgage company or other charge-holder on the property, but does not include the tenant.

Nominated licence holders

You may nominate another person to be the licence holder, but they must have a connection to the property as, for example, managing agent or joint owner. 

However, they will be responsible for complying with the licence conditions and must indicate their acceptance of that liability before the licence is granted.

You do not have to be accredited to hold a licence.

A landlord who is accredited, is either part of a scheme run by another local authority, or who has undertaken a course of training with a recognised landlords’ association.

You may receive two email acknowledgements

The Council is using an online system that sends e-mails automatically at certain points in the licensing process and these cannot be edited. 

Where the officer processing the application thinks that the automatic e-mail lacks detail, they will follow up with an e-mail that better explains what is required.

Public Register

The Council has to publish a register that the public can have access to, to show which properties in Oldham have a licence.

Please note the register is frequently updated and is accurate at time of publication.

The Register has been provided in line with Section 232 of the Housing Act 2004 and Section 11 The Licensing and Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation and Other Houses (Miscellaneous Provisions) (England) Regulations 2006.

Contact the team

For any queries, please contact the Selective Licensing team: