Your money | Your money | Oldham Council

When you are 18, you will be responsible for paying your own bills, how much you pay depends on whether you are in education, employment or looking for work.

We strive to become the best corporate parent we can be. That means helping you adapt to life outside of living in care and supporting you through the transition.

Financial support

There are many things we can do to help you access financial support.

We can help you with:

  • Money management and budget training
  • How to access your Junior ISA, if you have one (this is a fund of money set aside by the Government and the Council)
  • ID documents (for example passports or provisional driving licence before your 18th birthday)
  • University applications (see education section) (add in hyperlink once ‘education and work life’ section has been created)
  • Allowance to set up home (more information below)
  • Setting up a bank account
  • Getting your National Insurance Number
  • A financial gift on your 18th and 21st birthday, Christmas or other celebrations
  • Weekly allowance
    • If you are 16 and 17 years and you live in supported or semi-independence setting, you are entitled to a weekly allowance.
    • If you are 16 and 17 years old and live in supported accommodation and your utilities are provided (gas, electric, water) an allowance is provided, but services costs for these utilities may be requested
  • Learn more about the benefits system


Your personal advisor is always available for advice and support and can be contacted via: