1. Insurance and repairs

If you property and/ or contents have damaged due to recent flooding you should contact your insurers as soon as possible. The insurance provide may commission a loss adjuster and/ or a chartered structural engineer to investigate the matter.

You should take photos both of the building and any damaged items before removing them from you property. You may also find it useful to compile lists of damaged or lost items, to create a diary or log of activity and record details of everyone involved in the repair of your premises.

If you property is not insured it may be useful for owners to consider employing a chartered structural engineer, charters surveyor or chartered building engineer to survey the premises on their behalf, to determine the damage that has occurred and any potential means of repair. They can also provide advice regarding the continuing stability and safety of the premises.

Qualified building professionals may hold the qualifications CEng, MRICS, MCABE or MCIOB, and are expected to confirm to the professional and ethical standards of their institution and to offer third party insurance for their activities; however it is always best to ensure clarity of purpose and the costs of services to be received prior to commissioning work, to avoid the risk of unexpected costs or disappointment of outcomes.

Useful advice regarding repair and restoration following flooding can be found on the CIRIA website:


If your home needs repairs and are unsure who to approach for the works, we would advise that households seek several quotes for repair work from reputable businesses and request references, where possible, to check on the quality of work.

It’s also a good idea to enquire about likely costs and service outcomes before any work starts.

If you would like further advice or want to report a problem trader to Trading Standards, please contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Service:

  • Contact form - Citizens Advice Consumer Service website
  • Phone: 03444 111 444