Children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities can get support to get to school or college:
- You can get help if the child or young person goes to a mainstream school or college (or a special school or college) and has a statement of special educational needs, or an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan.
- You could also qualify if the child or young person does not have a plan or statement, but you have asked for one, or if they have additional learning or mobility difficulties.
Travel optionsDepending on your circumstances we could offer:
- travel training to develop a young person's independence and ability to use public transport
- a mileage rate to cover the cost of using your own transport
- a Personal Travel Budget (PTB) to pay for other travel arrangements
- a 'travel buddy' to accompany the child or young person on public transport
- a place on one of our dedicated vehicles with disabled access, usually shared with other children
- in very exceptional cases, a taxi or private hire vehicle.
Apply for travel assistance
- get the travel assistance application form; or
- phone 0161 770 3209
We'll check what you tell us and decide whether to make a full assessment. If so, we may visit you at home and consult the school and other organisations.
If we agree to offer travel assistance, it will normally start within two weeks.
We will review the situation regularly to make sure the assistance is still needed and appropriate, and will check if a change of circumstance like going to a new school means we need to change what we offer.
If you disagree with a decision
You can appeal to an independent panel against a decision to not provide assistance, or if you don't agree with the type of assistance we offer.
The letter we send you telling you our decision also tells you how to appeal.