The Housing Act 2004 gives councils the power to introduce the licensing of private rented homes, within a designated area, where it is or is likely to become either:

  • an area of low housing demand; and/or
  • an area which is experiencing a significant and persistent problem caused by anti-social behaviour.

The aim of Selective Licensing is to improve the management of these properties to ensure they have a positive impact on the area.

Oldham Council has designated eight areas for selective licensing of private landlords on the grounds of low housing demand.

The areas are Alexandra, Coldhurst, Hathershaw, Hollinwood, Oldham Edge, Primrose Bank, St Mary’s and Waterhead (see maps for boundaries and streets affected).

It will be rolled out to the following areas:

  • St Mary's - from May 1, 2015
  • Hathershaw and Waterhead - from July 6, 2015
  • Hollinwood and Primrose Bank - from September 1, 2015
  • Coldhurst, Alexandra and Oldham Edge - from January 1, 2016

Landlords who privately rent properties in the designated areas must obtain a licence from the council from the implementation date for every property they rent out in the area. If granted, a licence will be issued with a number of conditions which the landlord must comply with. It is a criminal offence to operate a privately rented property without a licence. A landlord will also commit a criminal offence if they fail to comply with any of the conditions of a licence.

How much will it cost?

The licence fee is £490 per rented property. The fee can either be paid in its entirety on application - or there's an installment option of paying half of the licence on application and the remaining half of the fee six months from the application date. The fee covers five years.

If you have any queries regarding the licensing application fee, please contact the landlord licensing team on 0161 770 2244 or alternatively you can email

Fit and proper person

The Licence Holder must ensure that any persons involved with the management of the house are to the best of their knowledge “fit and proper persons” for the purposes of the Housing Act 2004.

How to apply

Tenancy pack

If you are looking to begin a tenancy a pack of documents for your use is available The pack includes the following documents:

  • Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement
  • Inventory Checklist
  • Tenant Reference Pro-forma
  • Checklist for referencing prospective tenants for rented properties
  • Responsibility to dispose of waste correctly
  • Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detector Checklist

Download the Tenancy pack


Keep up to date with the latest news for Landlords

What areas are covered?

Important information for Landlords

More information 

Contact details

  • Mark Warburton – 0161 770 8061
  • Dawn Beech - 0161 770 5199
  • Gary Longdon –0161 770 8750



Chadderton Town Hall

Middleton Road