If your landlord is not carrying out repairs to your home | If your landlord is not carrying out repairs to your home | Oldham Council

When you rent a property from a private landlord, the landlord is required to comply with the law relating to housing repair.

The landlord's responsibilities;

  • You should get a tenancy agreement at the start of the tenancy
  • The house should be safe to live in
  • Have an annual gas safety certificate
  • Have an electrical safety certificate
  • Free from damp and mould
  • Have heating and hot water
  • Kitchen and bathroom are suitable, and can be easily cleaned
  • That any repairs that are needed are carried out
  • The house is suitable for the amount of people living in it
  • The house is free of pests
  • The landlord should carry out regular checks of the property
  • Make sure the blind cords meet the current safety standards
  • Provide smoke alarms.

A tenant's responsibilities; 

  • Keep the house clean and not cause damage.
  • Not cause any antisocial behaviour.
  • Dispose of rubbish in the correct bin and put the bin out on the correct day.
  • Report and disrepair to the landlord.
  • Allow the landlord access to carry out the repairs.
  • Pay the rent on time.

If you have a problem with your home you should report it to your landlord. Ring, text or send an email and keep a record of when you contacted them.

If you cannot get the repairs done, you can contact the Neighbourhood Enforcement Team. An officer will arrange to visit your property and may arrange for the landlord to come at the same time.

They will work with the landlord to get the repairs done, either by sending a letter or serving  a legal notice.

They will make sure the work is done. If it isn’t done, the Council may prosecute the landlord and in some cases do the work and charge the landlord for it.

If you are having problems with your landlord, and feel that they are pressuring you to leave the property, then contact Tenancy Relations.


Phone: 0161 770 2244

Environmental Health,
Chadderton Town Hall,
Middleton Road, Chadderton
Oldham, OL9 6PP