Oldham Council currently licences over 1,300 Dual drivers, around 1000 Private hire vehicles and a maximum of 85 Hackney carriage vehicles.
The main difference between Hackney Carriage and Private Hire vehicles are the way in which they are booked. Private Hire vehicles must be booked in advance by a licensed Private Hire Operator company, whereas Hackney Carriage vehicles can be hailed in the street or can hold on an approved rank without needing to be pre-booked.
Oldham Council issues Dual Driver Licences. This allows the holder to drive both Hackney Carriage and Private Hire vehicles.
The council has set objectives in relation to the licensing of Drivers, Vehicles and Operators. They are: -
- Ensuring passengers have safe journeys at a transparent price;
- Ensuring vehicles are safe, accessible and reducing their impact on the environment;
- Ensuring drivers are safe and know what they are doing.
- To provide a quality service to the public within the Borough.
- The protection of children and vulnerable adults
Wheelchair accessible taxis and private hire vehicles
Policies and fees
- Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy
- Taxi and Private Hire Policy on the Fitness and Suitability of Applicants and Licence Holders
- Licensing fees and charges
- Vehicle Inspection Manual