Mould and damp in the home | Mould and damp in the home | Oldham Council

Mould and damp in your home can cause serious health problems including allergies, or trigger asthma attacks. If you experience damp or mould in your home, it’s important that you deal with it as soon as possible.

Identifying mould or damp 

Mould is usually black in colour and can cause staining or a musty smell. It is often found in corners, behind furniture, along skirting boards or ceiling edges. 

There are various types of damp including: 

Penetrating damp - where damp penetrates through the walls of the building and can usually be seen as an area of 'wet' staining on the wall or ceiling. 

Rising damp - where there is a failure in the damp proof course and moisture rises up through the building from the ground. 

What you can do to prevent damp and mould 

There are some simple steps you can take to prevent damp and mould in your home including ventilating and heating your home properly, so moisture doesn’t build up. 

It can help if you: 

  • cover pans when cooking 
  • use extractor fans in kitchens and bathrooms 
  • close internal doors when you cook or shower 
  • leave a gap between furniture and external walls 
  • dry clothes outdoors or use a vented tumble dryer 
  • open bedroom windows for 5-10 minutes when you get up 

Dealing with severe mould and damp 

If you are heating and ventilating your home properly and still dealing with ongoing damp or mould issues, you should take action – to protect your health and the health of anyone you live with. 

Sometimes the cause of damp and mould can be easy to identify – such as a leaking rood or gutters. 

Sometimes it is not always clear why it is occurring in the home. You may need a damp expert if you don’t know what’s causing the problem. They can identify the cause and recommend how to fix it. 

Getting help with damp and mould if you are a tenant 

You should report issues with damp and mould to your landlord as soon as possible including: 

  • repairs needed 
  • impact on your health 
  • damage to furniture and belongings 

Landlords – both private and social housing providers – have a duty to carry out an inspection and any repairs needed within a reasonable time. 

If your landlord fails to repair damp and mould problems 

If your landlord does not deal with your complaint, please report the issue to Oldham Council’s Environmental Health team. We may inspect the property to establish what action needs to be taken and whether your home is fit to live in. 

We may be able to order your landlord to deal with the mould and/or damp as a health hazard. 

Getting help with mould and damp if you are a homeowner 

If you own or have a mortgage on your home, it is still important to deal with damp and mould.  

We may be able to help keep your home properly ventilated and heated via our Warm Homes Oldham service. A number of schemes are available through the service, including heating and insulation improvements. 

Get in touch with the team to find out more and get advice. 

Financial and additional support 

This is a tough time for many in Oldham. 

The rising cost of basic goods, including food and bills, aren't problems you have to face alone. 

Oldham partners are working together to offer residents and families a little more help. 

We've put together a range of support and guidance and a dedicated helpline: 0161 770 7007 (9am – 5pm on weekdays). 

More information can be found on our dedicated We Can Help page.