Help with rent, mortgage and repossession | Help with rent, mortgage and repossession | Oldham Council

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice Oldham helps thousands of people every year to resolve their legal and money issues, along with a huge variety of other issues, by providing free, independent and confidential advice every year. 

Rent difficulties

If you are struggling to pay your rent, contact your landlord as soon as possible as they may be willing to make payment arrangements that take into account your financial circumstances.

It is important to respond to all letters or visits from your landlord. Failure to answer to any letters or visits may cause delays and lead to further problems.

If you rent from a private landlord, you can also contact the Tenancy Relations Service for free advice on rent arrears and other landlord issues.

Housing Options

Civic Centre
West Street
Oldham, OL1 1UG
(For Sat Navs use OL1 1NL)

T: 0161 770 4605


Help with your mortgage

In July 2023, new support for people struggling with their mortgages was announced by the Government, as part of their Mortgage Charter.

Mortgage difficulties

If you can’t meet your mortgage repayments or are worried that you may fall behind with your payments, contact your lender as soon as possible.

Your mortgage lender may be willing to consider the following options:

  • Temporary payment holiday
  • Adding your arrears to the outstanding mortgage
  • Extending the length of your mortgage, reducing your monthly payments
  • Negotiating a reduced monthly payment
  • Converting your mortgage to an interest-only mortgage, reducing your monthly payments

Worried about your mortgage?

The National Homelessness Advice Service (NHAS) has produced a booklet that provides clear advice to homeowners struggling with their mortgage payments. It outlines what to do and where to get help.

Please note that the Government Mortgage Rescue Scheme closed on 31 March 2014 and is no longer available. 

Support agencies

Help for residents facing repossession

Court desk service

The Court Desk Service offers free advice and representation to anyone who has a repossession hearing at Oldham County Court due to rent or mortgage arrears.

The service is available to any resident, whether renting or with a mortgage.

The Court Desk Service takes place at Oldham County Court on the days that repossession hearings take place (usually Tuesday and Wednesday).

Please turn up to court at least 30 minutes before your case is due to be heard.

Please bring all your paperwork including:

  • Court papers
  • Notice of repossession
  • Proof of income/benefits
  • Details of your mortgage or tenancy

The Court Desk Advisor will be able to:

  • Give you initial advice on your case
  • Talk to your landlord or lender
  • Work out affordable repayments
  • Represent you at the hearing
  • Provide follow-up advice and assistance after the hearing, if required

You do not need to wait until the day of your hearing to seek advice, you can contact Oldham CAB at any time.

Oldham Citizens' Advice Bureau
1-2 Ascroft Court, Peter Street