Waiting on a payment or decision | Help with money problems | Oldham Council

4. Waiting on a payment or decision

If you have applied for benefits and are waiting for your first payment, or for some reason it is delayed, you may be eligable to get an advance.

This will usually have to be paid back in lieu of the following:

  • If you have made a new claim for benefit
  • Your benefit is delayed
  • Waiting for a benefit decision to be reassessed

Benefit advance or hardship payment:

If you have no money because of a sanction, you may be able to claim a hardship payment from the Jobcentre.

Hardship payments of Universal Credit need to be paid back, but hardship payments of Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) do not.

You should get advice before accessing either of these.

Who can help you with these problems?

Welfare Rights Service