My Account issues

If you are asked to add a service that you already have access to, please do not try to add the service or request a PIN. We hope to resolve the issue soon and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

2. I suddenly have no money

This situation can happen for a number of reasons, some of which are beyond your control. 

  • Losing your job
  • Benefits stopped (sanctioned or failed a medical)
  • Emergency or disaster (fire, flood, lost money)
  • Relationship breakdown
  • No recourse to public funds (NRPF)

Benefit advance or hardship payment:

If you have applied for benefits and are waiting for your first payment, you may be able to get an advance (this will have to be paid back).

If you have no money because of a sanction, you may be able to claim a hardship payment from the Jobcentre.

Hardship payments of Universal Credit need to be paid back, but hardship payments of Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) do not.

You should get advice before accessing either of these.

Challenging a decision:

You can challenge a benefit decision if your benefit has been stopped, sanctioned, or reduced and you believe the decision is wrong.

Most decisions need to be challenged within one month, or within 13 months if there are special reasons for the delay.

Benefits check:

A benefits check can ensure you are receiving your maximum entitlement and you can receive help to claim benefits.

Healthy Start vouchers:

If you’re pregnant or have a child under four years old you can also ask the advisor about Healthy Start vouchers:

Who can help you with these problems?

Citizens Advice

  • Phone: 08082 787803

Welfare Rights Service