Public wifi availability in council buildings - Thursday 6 October.

On Thursday 6 October, 5–6.30pm there will no public wifi available in council buildings. This is due to essential maintenance work taking place. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

You may be eligible for Local Welfare Provision to help you:

  • Meet short term emergency/immediate support needs
  • Establish or maintain a home in the community


  • Apply online
  • Call 0161 770 5468 (9am - 5pm Monday to Friday)

Oldham Council will tell you if you will get the Local Welfare Provision on the day the decision is made by email, telephone call, text or letter (whichever you prefer).

Who is it for?

These are some examples of the types of people and circumstances that may be considered for support:

  • People who have suffered a disaster/crisis such as fire or flood
  • Families under exceptional financial pressure
  • People who are homeless or rough sleepers
  • Vulnerable older people
  • People fleeing domestic violence
  • People leaving care
  • People moving out of institutional residential care
  • People moving to supported accommodation / independent living
  • People who are leaving prison or detention centres
  • People who are chronically or terminally ill
  • People with alcohol or drug issues
  • People with learning difficulties


To be eligible for Local Welfare Provision you must be:

1. Aged 16 or over.

2. Be a resident of the borough or be able to demonstrate that you are about to become a resident of the borough.

3. In receipt of one of the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income-related)
  • Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Reduction
  • Child / Working Tax Credit
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment

You may be able to get the Local Welfare Provision if you have exceptional circumstances but do not receive one of these benefits.

You would not be able to get Local Welfare Provision if:

  • Help is likely to be available from other funds or schemes
  • You have other ways to cover the costs (such as savings, credit cards, an overdraft, loans)
  • You own a property other than the one in which you live
  • The need for Local Welfare Provision has been self imposed (for example, benefit sanction enforced, loss of employment due to misconduct)
  • You have received Local Welfare Provision in the last six months (in cases of significant exceptional need this criteria can be relaxed).
  • You have no recourse to public funds. Please contact us for advice about other crisis support that may be available.


Here are some examples of how you could recieve help via the Local Welfare Provision:

  • Food vouchers
  • Order and payment by Oldham Council to suppliers of suitable goods or services
  • Text voucher for emergency credit for electricity and gas

Oldham Council has the discretion to determine which goods and services are essential and will consider the circumstances of each claim individually.

Awards would not normally be given for:

  • A television or satellite cost or repair
  • Installation of a telephone or telephone line
  • Housing costs or arrears of rent
  • Costs which can be met from other sources
  • Debts
  • Motor vehicles expenses
  • TV licence
  • Costs associated with care provision