Salem, OL4

Contact phone

07868 545 160
Ofsted URN: 2756950

Ofsted rating

Ofsted judgement: Awaiting first inspection


From 3 months to 5 years old

Opening times

Monday to Thursday 7.30am - 5.30pm

Cost details

Per day: £39

Free childcare possible for 2 year olds


Free childcare possible for 3/4 year olds


Takes childcare vouchers?



All fees negotiable

Registered for 30 hours free childcare

Special diets offered

On discussion with parents

Provides for different cultural needs


How do you identify special educational needs and disabilities?

I will access training through my Local Authority and any other CPD training available to me. I will collect all about me information from parents and create a baseline assessment when a child starts. Regular discussions with parents, observations and assessments will help me to identify any children needing support.

How do you involve parents/carers?

I will work in partnership with parents/carers. Sharing information on what their child has done each day, involving them in the assessment process and encouraging them to share what they have been doing at home. I will discuss with them if I have a concern, making them aware of the process of involving Health visitors etc and work together to create next steps to help their child progress.

How do you support a child’s learning and development?

I will keep parents/carers informed about how and what their child is learning through their play. I will share this through photo’s, learning journeys, assessments, and newsletters. Providing them with ideas and activities that can be done at home.

How do you meet a child’s educational needs?

They will be met through following the EYFS, planning around the child’s interests and introducing new topics and experiences to help the child progress and learn new skills. I will make sure all about me records are up to date and have regular discussions with parents/carers about how they feel their child is progressing.

How do we know my child is achieving agreed outcomes?

Through regular observations and assessments, which will be shared with parents/carers.

How do you adapt for a child with extra needs?

Activities and resources are based around the individual child’s needs and interests and will be tailored to their ability, ensuring that they will enjoy the activity and learn through their play.

How accessible is your service, outside and inside?

I have open plan living and a downstairs toilet, the back door leads into a secure flat garden. I have two steps up to the front door and two steps at the back door.

How do you involve children in outings and trips?

Each trip outside the setting be it a trip to the local park or a trip to the farm, will be discussed with parents and thoroughly risk assessed to ensure every child is included.

How do you work with other organisations?

I will obtain contact details for the appropriate agencies and open lines of communication with them. With parents’ permission I will share relevant information with them to enable me to support children within my setting.

How do you support children when they start and leave?

Settling in sessions will be offered, I will gather all about me information and create a baseline assessment, allowing me to plan around the child’s interests. Regular discussions with parents/carers about how they feel their child is settling and what else I could implement to help the child settle in. When a child leaves to attend a new setting or move onto school I help prepare the child by talking to them about what will happen, look at photos and take a trip to look at the new setting. I will provide the new setting with a transition document, ensuring they are aware of the child’s needs and interests.

How are you/staff trained in extra needs?

I will access any training provided by my Local Authority as well as CPD training through outside organisations such as Training 4 Early Years and

What is your policy on compliments, complaints, concerns?

Parents will receive a copy of my complaints policy upon starting. A compliant can be made to myself verbally, in writing or through contacting Rutland Early Years, an Ofsted registered agency whom I am registered with. I will deal with and hopefully resolve any complain promptly.
Updated: 06/12/2023