The Northern Roots project will create the UK’s largest urban farm and country park, providing new green space for communities from across Oldham and beyond.
Situated on Snipe Clough to the south of Oldham town centre, the project will integrate into Alexandra Park.
Northern Roots will complement and strengthen our town centre regeneration proposals - and boost our commitment for a green recovery from the pandemic.
To support this project, we successfully applied for funding from the Government’s Towns Fund.
The new country park will have new walking and cycle routes including an off-road biking trail, play areas for youngsters and an urban farm.
We plan to develop a wide range of activities and opportunities including:
- A visitor centre, café and shop
- Growing crops
- Making our own food and drink products (available to buy across the borough)
- Better facilities for sport including football and hockey
- Camping, mountain biking, high ropes and walking routes
- Outdoor performances, weddings, festivals and workshops
- Courses, outdoor classrooms, forest school and workspaces.