As part of the Council’s winter maintenance service we supply self help grit bins for public use on public roads and pavements.
There are currently 637 grit bins throughout Oldham borough which are located at prominent locations such as hilly areas, exposed locations and potentially dangerous road junctions.
Prior and during the winter season (October - March) all Council-owned grit bins throughout borough are regularly refilled.
Report a damaged grit bin
All damaged grit bins will be repaired or replaced.
- Report a damaged grit bin (Web form)
Request a new grit bin location
The Council will provide a new grit bin when full justification is shown.
The provision of grit bins are assessed against a criteria, which uses a point system.
Key factors that are considered include:
- Height of land i.e. altitude
- Climatic zone
- Highway gradient
- Distance to next grit box
- Other factors e.g. elderly persons' accommodation; known water problems; junction problems; unadopted status
You will be informed of the final decision within 10 days.
- Request a new grit bin (web form)