Avoid a local lockdown

Do not make visits to other people's homes or gardens. Restrictions on care home visiting are not being relaxed. Those who are shielding should continue to take extra care.

Latest information and advice

A “vehicle crossing” or “dropped kerb” is a section of kerb lowered to provide vehicular access to a property.

Planning permission

Planning permission may be needed to form or alter access onto a major road (you will be notified of this after the initial inspection by the Highways Service).

If you are a tenant you may need the permission of your landlord to park a car on the property. It may also be necessary for you to agree with a third party to have a driveway constructed over their land.


You will have to cover the costs of the work and the work on the highway must be done by the Council.

Cost for dropped kerbs vary and each application is priced individually after a site visit.

The cost increases where a grass verge has to be crossed or where items of street furniture or service apparatus (i.e. utilities) need moving or adjusting (by a third party).

The cost of works carried out by a third party will need to be met by you separately to the works carried out by the Council.


Quotes for vehicle crossings/dropped kerbs cannot be given over the phone. The site must be assessed by an inspector.

Site inspection

Your application will be assessed by an inspector, who will make every effort to meet with you and to discuss the application on-site.

You will then be sent a free, no-obligation quotation for the cost of the work.

Apply for a dropped kerb/vehicle crossing

Contact the Highways team to arrange a site inspection and application for a dropped kerb/vehicle crossing.

Pay for your dropped kerb/vehicle crossing

You should allow 12 weeks from the payment being made to the Council to the construction of the crossing.

After receiving the quote, if you choose to go ahead with the work, there are a couple of ways to pay for it:

Cheque by post

Make cheques payable to ‘Oldham MBC.’

Write the quotation reference number and your address on the back of the cheque.

Send this with the Customer Agreement Form sent to you with your quote to Highways Maintenance.

Please do not send cash.