Coronavirus: Changes to restrictions

Only meet indoors with people you live with or your support bubble. Up to 6 people or 2 households can meet outside. Work from home if you can. If you have symptoms get a test and stay at home.

Coronavirus: Information and advice

Utility companies are responsible and legally obliged to repair and maintain manhole covers in the highway that they own.

Please report any damage to a manhole cover that is owned by a Utility company, for example United Utilities, directly to the Utility company, rather than the council wherever possible.

United Utilities

United Utilities or UU are responsible for the maintenance of foul and clean water covers, including fire hydrants

BT or Openreach

BT covers can usually be identified by the embossed letters “BT” on the cover. Some older BT manhole covers may have alternative lettering such as “PO”, “GPO” or “TELECOM”.

Virgin Media

Virgin Media manhole covers can also be identified by embossed lettering on the cover. This will usually be “CATV” although some covers may show the name of a company that was a predecessor of Virgin Media such as “NYNEX” or “Cable & Wireless”.

Please get in touch with Virgin Media directly on:

  • 0330 333 0444 to report damage to one of their assets. Damage to Virgin Media street cabinets can also be reported on this phone number.

National Grid - Gas

Gas valve covers are can be identified by the embossed “G” or “GAS” on the cover. Please use the link below to get in touch with National Grid directly to report any damage to any of their equipment:

Gas - webpage for reporting damaged covers

Electricity North West (ENW)

ENW is the electricity distribution network operator for the North West of England. Their covers can usually be identified by ELECTRICITY lettering, or by lettering of a predecessor company, such as NORWEB or O.C.E.W.

Please use the link below to get in touch with ENW directly to report damage to any of their manholes or other equipment:
Electricity - webpage for reporting damage

Oldham Council

Oldham Council is responsible for the maintenance of gully covers (grids) on Oldham’s highways.

If your query is regarding a blocked gully, please visit the Council’s Gully Cleaning page:

If you wish to report a missing manhole cover, please report directly to its owner wherever possible.

If the manhole cover is a gully owned by Oldham Council, or you do not know who owns the manhole, please report it using the Council’s Emergency Contact details:

Report it

For any other damage, please report it using the online form: