Social housing is housing which is provided for rent or sale at a fairly low cost by housing associations and local councils. It is let on a secure basis to households who are most in need. 

Most of the social housing in Oldham is owned by housing associations and a small proportion (2,000) by the Oldham Council. 

How does the application process work?

To access social housing in Oldham you must register with Oldham Council. 

Applicants are advertised on the register according to the Council’s allocations scheme. 

Properties are generally allocated to the applicant who:

  • Bid on the property
  • Is in the greatest housing need

Sometimes properties are allocated based on factors other than need, these are clearly explained in the allocations scheme and on the My Move website. 


The Council recognise and reward those who work or who make a contribution to the community. This approach is not only aligned to our cooperative values but is also supported by national policies focussed on supporting hard working families, and statutory guidance for housing allocations.

Properties advertised as “WorkingXtra” are therefore allocated to applicants who are in employment, training or volunteering. 

To be eligible, you must have been doing any of the following in the last 6 months:

  • Working 16 hours a week or more
  • Volunteering for at least 4 hours a week
  • Work-related training programme 
  • Caring for household members

Apply for social housing