If you believe you are, or suspect another person is, in immediate risk of harm call 999 and speak to the Police.

All calls concerning worries about abuse and neglect of children or adults will be treated seriously.

Don’t ignore the abuse or neglect. Don’t keep it secret or put off reporting it. You should take action even if you are not 100% sure that abuse is taking place.

To report a non-urgent case of abuse or neglect contact Oldham Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH)

  • Between 8.40am and 5pm Telephone number: 0161 770 7777
  • Out of Hours (Emergency Duty Team) Telephone number: 0161 770 6936
  • adult.mash@oldham.gov.uk

Report a concern about abuse or neglect to adult social care using our online form:

Report abuse or neglect of an adult

Abuse can vary from treating someone disrespectfully, in a way that significantly affects their quality of life, to causing actual physical suffering.

Abuse can occur anywhere, but it is likely to happen in the persons own home, in care homes, daycare centres or hospitals.

Types of abuse can include:

  • Physical - Hitting, slapping or pushing
  • Psychological - Shouting or swearing which makes the person afraid
  • Sexual - Unwanted touching, kissing or sexual intercourse
  • Financial - Money or property taken without consent or under pressure
  • Neglect - Not being cared for properly or denied privacy, choice or social contact
  • Discrimination - Being treated unfairly because of your gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, race, culture, background, or illness.
  • Institutional - Neglect or poor standards of care in, for example, a hospital or care home
  • Domestic abuse 
  • Modern slavery – encompassing slavery, human trafficking, forced labour, domestic servitude.
  • Self-neglect – covers a range of behaviours neglecting to care for one’s personal hygiene, health or behaviour such as hoarding.

Signs that a person is being abused may include:

  • Unexplained injury
  • Fear or distress
  • Withdrawal
  • Evidence of neglect
  • Evidence of theft, fraud or financial exploitation
  • A person acting, looking or appearing different than they usually do

What happens when you report abuse?

A social worker or health professional will talk to the person and if they are being abused they will plan what to do to protect them.

If enquiries are needed the abused person and their carers will be supported throughout.

A social worker or health professional will also talk to other people involved.

What is an adult at risk of abuse or neglect?

An adult at risk of abuse or neglect is someone who is aged 18+ who may be unable to care for themselves or protect themselves from harm or from being abused/exploited. 

This may be because of their age, or because they have a mental health condition or a physical or learning disability.

Adult Social Care have a legal duty to make safeguarding enquiries for people who:

Have care and support needs (whether or not the Local Authority is meeting any of those needs)

Are experiencing or at risk of abuse or neglect and; 

As a result of those care and support needs be unable to protect themselves from either the risk or the experience of the abuse or neglect.

They may be at risk of abuse from people they know such as a relative, friend, neighbour or paid carer.  Sometimes people can be abused by a stranger.

Further information and guidance

Oldham Safeguarding Adults Board (OSAB)

Oldham Safeguarding Adults Board is a partnership of agencies and organisations whose aim is to work together to safeguard adults who are vulnerable to, at risk of or are experiencing abuse and neglect.

Social Care Institute for Excellence

Signs of abuse can often be difficult to detect. This page aims to help people who come into contact with people with care and support needs to identify abuse and recognise possible indicators. Many forms of abuse are also criminal offences and should be treated that way.