2. Changes to the Blue Badge scheme
The Department for Transport have changed the Blue Badge process in order to tackle fraud and misuse, and to ensure that the scheme is available to those that need it.
The changes are:
- A new anti-fraud Blue Badge design containing a digital image of the badge holder*
- A National Blue Badge database that holds information for each Local Authority to reduce fraud
- Badges will no longer be produced by Local Authorities but a specialist company at a national processing unit to ensure consistency and reduce fraud
- A £10 administration fee will be charged by each local authority for all badges issued to cover increased administration costs
*Existing badges will still be valid until they expire as new style badges will be phased in over the next three years.