With a Blue Badge you may park for free for as long as you need to at on-street parking meters and pay-and-display machines (unless there is a traffic sign specifying a time limit for Blue Badge holders).
You may park on single or double yellow lines for up to three hours except where there is a ban on loading or unloading.
Where a time limit is in force, you must display the Blue Badge and the special blue parking disc showing time of arrival.
Blue Badges can be issued for up to 3 years.
Who is it for?
You can apply for a Blue Badge if you are:
- Receiving Personal Independent Payment (PIP), with a score of 8 or higher, in the moving around category of the mobility component
- Receiving a war pensioners’ mobility supplement
- Permanent and substantially disabled, which makes walking impossible or very difficult. This needs to be assessed by an independent mobility assessor, unless eligibility is self evident.
- Receiving a grant towards your own vehicle
- Using a vehicle supplied by a government department
- Unable to turn a steering wheel by hand
- Parents of a disabled child
If you don't qualify under these rules, you may still be eligible for a badge following a mobility assessment.
Blue Badges can also be issued to organisations which transport disabled people.
Apply for a Blue Badge
You can apply online on the GOV.UK website.
Print and complete an application form
Send your application form and the supporting documents and payment (see below) to the Blue Badge Team:
Blue Badge Team
What you will need (supporting documents)
- A current passport sized photograph with your name printed on the back
- Photocopied evidence of some form of ID such as birth certificate / passport / driving licence / marriage certificate / divorce certificate / civil partnership certificates (please be aware that if originals of these documents are sent, you will have to come to Access Oldham in the Civic Centre to collect them after we have processed your application)
Evidence of your address in the form of a copy of recent Council Tax or other utility bill
- Photocopies of any relevant documents to support your application e.g. Medical evidence
- A £10.00 administration fee.
How long will it take?
If you are eligible for a badge; have submitted an application and provided the required supporting evidence, you can expect to receive a badge within 6-12 weeks of making an application.
Ways to pay
It is easy to pay your £10.00 Blue Badge administration fee by using your debit card online. Make a payment (select Blue Badge Service from miscellaneous payments)
You can pay by calling the Blue Badge Team on 0161 770 1222.
Re-apply for your Blue Badge
Existing badge holders will receive a reminder 5 weeks prior to the expiry date. If you still require a badge you should complete a new application as soon as possible following this reminder to ensure that you are re-assessed in time for a new badge to be processed if you are still eligible.
Please be aware that replacement badges will be issued near to the expiry date, not in advance of this date.
If you lose your badge you should register the loss on the Report My Loss Police website.
If you provide a copy of the report and make a payment of £10.00 to Oldham Council, a replacement badge will be sent out with the same expiry date.
If your badge is stolen you should report it to the police by telephoning 101 to get a crime reference number.
If you provide the crime reference number and make a payment of £10.00 to Oldham Council, a replacement badge will be sent out with the same expiry date.
If you have an expired Blue badge or badge which is no longer required please return it to the Blue Badge Team with an explanatory note so that we can amend our records.
Disabled parking places
Blue Badges are only for on-street parking.
There are disabled car parks in most Council parking lots.
Applying for a new disabled parking space
Disabled bus passes
You might also be eligible for a disabled bus pass.
Reporting the Misuse of a Blue Badge
If you suspect that a person is mis-using a blue badge you should contact the Blue Badge team with details of the badge number and the person using the badge.