Environmental Management System
Oldham Council maintains an internally-audited environmental management system that works towards the ISO 14001 standard.
This system ensures that Oldham Council demonstrates:
- A full understanding of how its activities can affect the environment
- Environmental policy and objectives to reduce our impact on the environment
- Procedures and controls to help it achieve environmental objectives
- Inclusive Economy: a place where everyone has a fair and real chance to access opportunities and improve their own lives
- Co-operative Services: a place where radical innovation changes the delivery and impact of public services
- Thriving Communities: a place where society and social action really mean something
As with any large organisation, Oldham Council can manage its activities to improve environmental performance. As a central community leader the council is also in a unique position to influence partners to improve their environmental performance.
Putting policy into practice
We recognise that an environmental focus in policies must be backed up by strong action in order to create positive environmental outcomes. There are many projects and actions happening across the borough to improve our environment, from the installation of renewable energy to maintaining our beautiful rural areas. Information about the environmental work being carried out in the borough can be found on our environmental directory.
In addition to these activities, we continue to achieve its internal environmental policy aims through environmental management and sustainable practices within the organisation:
- Developing, implementing and maintaining our Environmental Management System to ISO 14001 standards
- Complying with all relevant environmental legislation as a minimum and exceed requirements where possible
- Controlling activities to reduce our negative environmental impacts, preventing pollution, and demonstrating continual improvement, whilst maximising our positive environmental impacts
- Raising and maintaining the awareness and understanding of the Environmental Policy and work programmes for all staff.
- Environmental regeneration: Conserving, enhancing and as appropriate, restoring priority habitats for wildlife consistent with Biodiversity Action Plans for Oldham Borough and the Peak District National Park
- Resource Use and addressing Climate Change: Minimising resource consumption across Council operations (including energy and water) and progressing the use and generation of renewable energy
- Sustainable Design and Construction: Designing and constructing new schools and Council buildings to incorporate sustainable design and construction techniques, and utilising our influence in other construction projects in the Borough to follow these practices
- Sustainable Procurement: Developing our purchasing practices to increase the sustainability of Oldham Council’s procurement with regard to services, quantities, product types and whole life impacts
- Travel Planning: Minimising the environmental impacts of Council and employee travel by encouraging the use of sustainable alternatives to the car for journeys to, from and whilst at, work
- Waste Management and Recycling: Reducing waste generation across Council operations, reusing where appropriate, and implement recycling along with strategies to reduce waste volume
- Work in Partnership: Working with key partners in the public, private and voluntary sectors to ensure major strategies and plans are shaped and influenced by the whole community.