There are two main species of rat in the UK, the Brown or Common Rat and the Black Rat.
Signs that you have an infestation
- Droppings that are black/brown colour, shaped like a raisin and 5-8mm long.
- As rats need to gnaw constantly, they can cause damage to woodwork, plastic, bricks and lead pipes, and may strip insulation from electrical cables.
- Smear marks are dark grey marks left on surfaces by repeated contact with the oils in their fur.
- Black rats are able to climb and often found in lofts so you might hear scratching noises at night.
- Holes the size of tennis balls in gardens and planters caused by burrowing rats.
- Rats will shred materials such as loft insulation, cardboard and other soft items to make nests.
- Rats leave foot and tail marks in dusty, less-used areas of buildings.
Rats are carriers of bacteria, diseases, parasites and viruses. If your house has become infested by rats, they will leave faeces and urine behind them, contaminating food and surfaces. Rats are known to spread diseases to humans such as Leptospirosis, Weils Disease, Salmonella, Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome
Rats are very difficult to get rid of without professional help. Our treatment involves up to 2 visits in a four-week period.
Unboarded loft spaces will be treated from the loft access point, officers do not enter unboarded loft areas.
Depending on the severity of the infestation, more than one treatment programme may be required
If you book a treatment, there are things that you need to do before and after the visit. It is very important that you follow these instructions to ensure that the treatment is successful.
Request a visit
To request a visit, please call:
- 0161 770 2244
We will contact you by phone prior to any visit.