Childminders are childcare professionals who can offer:
  • part-time or full-time places
  • school drop off and/or pick up
  • school holiday care
  • flexible hours to suit you (some offer weekend/overnight care)

Children are cared for in the childminders home. Often other children or the childminder’s own children are present.

Childminders must be 18 years of age or over to register. Childminders are either registered with Ofsted or an Ofsted registered childminder agency.  

Before becoming a childminder you will need to undertake a training course. This has to meet the requirements of Ofsted or the childminder agency you are registering/registered with (there are no Childminder Agencies operating in the Oldham area currently).

All childminders must meet the requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage if they are caring for children less than 5 years of age. 

In your work as a childminder, you will be expected to record information about children’s development, health and behaviour. As such, you will need to notify the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) that you are a ‘data controller’ for data protection purposes.

You can find out if you need to register with the ICO or not, by using their online self-assessment tool.

A registered childminder is usually self-employed and will be responsible for their own tax and national insurance. Childminders will need to comply with HMRC guidance and have the option of using the services of an accountant.

Childminders are responsible for marketing their own business and may want to find out if there is a need in the area.

Please note: If living in rented property, you will need written agreement from your landlord to run a childminding business from home.

Becoming a childminder

HRMC guidance