After you register a death, you can ask us to tell other government departments about the death so you don't have to contact them yourself.

Tell Us Once can contact the following organisations on your behalf:

  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - to deal with personal tax (you need to contact HMRC separately for business taxes, like VAT)
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - to cancel benefits, for example Income Support
  • Passport Office - to cancel a British passport
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) - to cancel a driving licence and to remove the person as the keeper for up to 5 vehicles
  • The local council - to cancel Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, a Blue Badge, inform council housing services and remove the person from the electoral register
  • Public sector or armed forces pension schemes - to stop pension payments

How do I use Tell Us Once?

You must have registered the death before you use Tell Us Once.

When you have done so, we’ll provide you with a unique reference number.

You’ll need this when you contact Tell Us Once.

This can be done:

  • Online (DWP website)
  • By telephone on 0800 085 7308 (Calls are free from a BT landline but other providers may charge you)

What you will need

Before you can use the Tell Us Once service you will need specific information which is listed on the website: