Installation of new drainage facilities (including installation or relocation of toilets, bathrooms and kitchens) requires Building Control approval.

Gutter or downspout replacement does not require approval.


Please contact the Building Control team for a copy of the application form you require via email or by phone:

Non-domestic premises

Applications for non-domestic premises generally need to be submitted in the form of a Full Plans application. However, the council may accept a Building Notice if the works are of a minor nature.

If you think you may only need to use the Building Notice please contact Building Control with details of your proposals before you submit your application.


For some Full Plans applications, part of the fee is payable upon submission of the application and the other part is invoiced for, after the first inspection by Building Control officers. This is dependant on the work category and is shown within the charges information.

For a Building Notice application, fee is payable upon submission of the application.

Plumbing and drainage works are charged as alterations/installation of fittings, based on the estimated cost of the works, as shown in the following documents.

Domestic premises and Non-domestic premises

Please contact Building Control regarding fees:

Please contact the Building Control Helpline and the Team will be able to provide you with a fee quote

  • 0161 770 4122