Will I have to notify Building Control?

The majority of proposed electrical installation works in dwellings will need to be notified to Building Control prior to commencement, except when:

  • The work is to be undertaken by an electrician who is able to ‘Self certify’ his work under ‘The Competent Persons Scheme’;
  • The work is of a minor nature (e.g. additional sockets or switches to an existing circuit) and it is not in a kitchen, bathroom or a ‘special location’ (i.e. areas which are likely to have water present – saunas, garden lighting, underfloor heating, pond pumps etc.);
  • Replacing sockets, switches or ceiling roses (even when in a kitchen, bathroom or ‘special location’);
  • Installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential (‘earth’) bonding.

Building regulations

Obtain approval

You have two options:

Option 1 - Appoint a Competent Self Certifying Electrical Contractor

This is the preferred route. The electrician or firm should be registered  as ‘competent to self certify’ under ‘The Competent Persons Scheme’ or ‘Domestic Installers Scheme’. Please check whether they are able to ‘self certify’ their work under these schemes.

When the work is complete, the installer is required to provide the owner with certification confirming that the work satisfies both I.E.E. and the Building Regulations. They will inform their affiliated organisation of the installation, who will in turn inform Building Control.

Therefore, the local authority has no involvement in the installation and testing procedure, because the installer has fully self certified the work.

Option 2 - Apply to Oldham Building Control for approval.

This route is for work carried out by any other electrical installer who cannot self certify the work (this would include DIY projects).

It involves:

  1. Applying for Building Regulation approval with the local authority, paying the appropriate Building Control charge
  2. Having the works inspected by Building Control prior to plastering
  3. Obtaining installation and test certificates. These will be provided by the electrician (where they can prove competency) or where the electrician is unable to prove competency, a competent electrician will have to be employed to provide the service. Not all electrical contractors provide this service, they may want to see a wiring diagram or electrical specification and they will make a charge for their services. A copy of any certificates must be sent to Building Control.
  4. Notifying building control at completion of the works, to enable a completion inspection to be carried out to check the work satisfies the other applicable regulations.

A completion certificate will not be issued by Building Control until the relevant certificates have been received. The Completion Certificate is an important document which will be required upon the sale of the property.


The householder is ultimately responsible for ensuring that electrical work complies with the Building Regulations in their dwelling, and they may be served with an enforcement notice for non-compliance.

Heavy fines are in place for contraventions. However, the primary responsibility for achieving compliance rests with the person carrying out the electrical work.


Please contact Building Control regarding fees:

The role of Building Control officers

The Building Control Officers at Oldham Council are not electricians.

Building Control officers provide a visual check during the installation, ensure that everything has been tested and that the work meets reasonable standards.