If you suspect a child or young person is being abused you can help make it stop by making a child protection referral.

Contact the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) and ask to speak to the Duty Officer:

Or use the Safeguarding referral form to report it online:

Safeguarding referral form

Out of hours

For urgent concerns outside office hours, you can call the Emergency Duty Team:

  • Phone: 0161 770 6936

or the Police on 101 (999 in emergencies).

If you suspect a child might be being abused but are not 100% sure it is still best to make the call.

Information you will be asked to provide

The more factual information that you can give about the child and its situation, the more speedily and efficiently Children's Social Care or the police will be able to deal with your referral.

The types of information you will be asked for includes:

  • Names and date of birth of the child, carers or any other family members
  • Address and phone number of the child
  • Day time address and phone number for parents/carers
  • Ethnic origin, religion and cultural background of the child, its family or carers.
  • Details of immediate or impending danger to the child
  • Details of any previous concerns or any relevant background information
  • The reason for your referral (including a description of any injuries observed, allegations made, discussions with the child or other person, details of any witnesses and dates/times/places of alleged incidents).

You might also be asked for your opinion about how the child and family will react to the referral, and any factors which may place the child or others at further risk (for example where there is domestic violence).

If you do not have all this information contact us anyway. It you have concerns for a child it is always safest to let us know.

After making a report

A social worker will visit the child and its family and undertake an assessment of risk which may include working with (and sharing information with) other agencies.

Oldham Safeguarding Children Partnership

OSCP brings people and professionals together to promote the welfare of children in Oldham.