The Hospital Social Work Team and Urgent Care Team cover the hospital wards, Accident & Emergency, and the Medical Assessment Unit at the Royal Oldham Hospital.

Social Workers help assess the needs of patients and provide help and support to enable a safe hospital discharge.

Social Workers work to the criteria under Fair Access to Care.

Ask for Social Worker support

If you need help from a Social Worker, tell the ward staff to refer you to the Social Work Department as soon as possible.

Contact will be made with the patient (and, with their permission, other relevant people) to start an assessment of need to ensure a safe and speedy discharge from hospital.

If the assessment finds that a support plan or short-stay placement is required, you will need to have a financial assessment to find out what you need to contribute to the cost of your care (See: What will I have to pay for care services?)