One2One foster placements are therapeutic placements for young people who are usually aged between 10 and 18.
One2One fostering provides a young person with a supportive family where they can build a trusting relationship with a foster carer whilst they receive therapy to help them to overcome traumatic experiences.
Therapeutic means having a good effect on the body and mind. Working in this way enables foster carers to help young people overcome trauma, achieve a sense of self-worth and well-being.
Young people in need of therapeutic fostering often experience chronic and complex difficulties.
The therapeutic model we use involves carers as an essential part of the process.
It is based on:
- Playfulness – Do you have a good sense of humour? Can you see the funny side of things even when times are tough? Can you help a young person engage in play or sport?
- Acceptance – Can you accept people for who they are? Are you there for people when they need you? Are you open minded?
- Curiosity – Do you enjoy learning about new things? Do you like to find out about how people tick?
- Empathy – Are you big hearted and understanding? Can you see things from other people’s points of view? Can you put yourself in another person’s place and view how they see the world?
Who are the young people who need One2One placements?
The young people who need these types of placement will usually be between the ages of 10 to 18 years.
They will have had a history of previous adoption or foster placement breakdowns.
They will have had very difficult life experiences and complex needs, which might include anger management issues, self-harming, anti-social behaviour and often poor educational outcomes and will be in need of a stable caring home.
Could you be a One2One foster carer?
To be a One2One foster carer you must have a spare room in your house and live in Oldham or within 20 miles of Oldham.
If you live in social housing or a private rented property and do not have a spare room, you may still be able to foster. Please contact us for more information.
You don't have to have had children or worked with young people professionally, although this can sometimes help.
One2One foster carers:
- can be married, single, co-habiting or in a same sex relationship (if you are in a relationship all we ask is that your relationship is stable and you have been living with each other for a year or more).
- are passionate about making a real difference to a young person who has experienced a difficult start in life.
- have a range of life skills.
- enjoy the company of young people, have a sense of humour and the ability to see the positives wherever possible.
- understand what our young people have been through and look at the world through their eyes.
- create an emotionally warm environment.
- believe in our young people’s potential.
- view fostering as a great career and a way of life!
If this describes you and you are interested in becoming a One2One foster carer please contact the fostering team.
All placements are supported 24/7 by specialist staff who will be there for you to provide training, advice and support every step of the way. The fostering team will give you the skills and confidence to care for young people who have experienced a difficult start to life.
We help and support you to develop your parenting skills in a way which assists young people learn to trust and engage with you and others.
We will provide you with:
- extensive support, including your own highly trained social worker
- a 24/7 emergency line
- the opportunity for you to work as part of a professional team
- comprehensive training
- a generous financial package
For more information please contact the fostering team:
- Phone: 0161 770 6600
- Email: email@example.com