If you or a member of your family are having difficulty getting around your home due to a physical disability, sensory impairment, or old age, you may be eligible for a Disabled Facility Grant to adapt your house and make it easier for you to live independently.

The Disabled Facility Grant is for adults and children who have difficulty doing everyday tasks and either:

  • Own their home 
  • Rent a house from a private landlord
  • Rent a house from a housing association


You can use the grant to:

  • Put in ramps and making doors wider
  • Make it easier to reach rooms by adding stair lifts or bathrooms on the ground floor
  • build wet floors or walk in showers


You might need to pay for some of the work in your house.

We will figure out how much money you can get based on how much you earn and any benefits you get. We call this a "financial means test".

You can see if you may be eligible for the grant by carrying out a self-assessment of your finances using the Foundations means test calculator:


If you would like to apply and you're a First Choice Homes tenant, please contact First Choice Homes on:

  • Tel: 0161 393 7117  (option 2).

If you would like to apply and you're a Housing Association tenant, please contact your landlord.

Anyone else that would like to apply should contact the Community Occupational Therapy Team for an assessment: