Induction for new governors
All new governors will be provided with a resource pack by the Governor Support Service. New governors are advised to familiarise themselves with the Mentoring and Induction Policy for New Governors and to work through the New Governor Checklist.
As well as training and information provided by the Governor Support Service and the wider Local Authority, guidance is also offered by the Department for Education, and National Governance Organisations.
Training and development
Whilst not compulsory, all governors, however experienced, need training to improve their effectiveness in the role and to keep abreast of developments that may affect their school and their role as governor.
The following links provide access for governors to a wide range of training and development opportunities.
- Local Authority Training Programme
- Oldham LSCB Multi Agency Training
- Prevent Channel Awareness Training
- Disability Matters SEND Training
- Council for Disabled Children SEND E-Learning
- Education and Training Foundation (SET)
- eLearning module - Arts and Cultural Education
- Oldham Learning Festival Twitter: @OldhamLearnFest
Webinars and videos
- What is the responsibility of the governing body for SEND Learners?
- Ofsted news and webinars
- Understanding the new primary progress measures (in 4 minutes)
- Progress 8 (explained in 3 minutes)
- Governors for Schools YouTube webinars
Online and flexible training
There are a wide range of online training and development opportunities that can be accessed at any time in your own home, or by using a computer at a library.
Local Authority Training Resources
Courses are held at various venues across Oldham.