Security at home
You can get home security advice and (in some circumstances) free security upgrades to your home through the Secure Homes scheme.
Contact Community Safety Services for more information.
- Car keys - don’t leave them by the front door
- Curtains – pull them and leave a light on when you’re out in the evening
- Locks - get sturdy locks for your doors and windows
- Phone - never give private information to callers
- Smoke alarm – check regularly
- Strangers – phone the organisation they are from if you need to
- Windows and doors - close them (even if you’re just in the garden)
In your car
- Advice - the Vehicle Security National Helpline on 0870 550 2006
- Buying cars – Vehicle Identity Checks on Gov.uk
- Lock doors when driving
- Park in a well-lit and open car park
- Take your things with you
- Fit tamper-proof number plate screws
For free tamper-proof number plate screws send a note with your car make and model, with a stamped addressed envelope to Community Safety Services.
When you’re out and about
- ID – use an ID card, not official documents
- Music – ear phones can distract you
- Speak up - tell someone where you’re going
- Taxis - book in advance with reputable firms, ask the driver to wait until you’re in your house
- Walking – don’t walk alone, avoid quiet areas after dark
Policing in Oldham
Visit the Greater Manchester Police website for information about local crime issues, including a crime map and contact numbers.
Oldham Division - Greater Manchester Police website