You have the right to access recordings that may be of yourself. For example, if you are involved in a traffic accident you might be able to find out what happened.
You must complete the form and there may be a £10 charge.
Code of Practice
All of the systems are used in accordance with national standards that govern the use of CCTV, Oldham Council’s Code of Practice (in partnership with Oldham Police Division of Greater Manchester Police), the Data Protection Act and the Human Rights Act. Together this ensures that the information (images) are processed lawfully and in your best interest.
Copies are also at public libraries, Oldham Police Station and the Civic Centre, West Street, Oldham.
Explanations of the code in different languages are available on request to the CCTV manager.
The CCTV Code of Practice has been agreed by Oldham Council and the Oldham Police Division of Greater Manchester Police.
All data will be processed in accordance with the principles of the Data Protection Act, 1998 which, in summarised form, includes, but is not limited to:
- All personal data will be obtained and processed fairly and lawfully.
- Personal data will be held only for the purposes specified.
- Personal data will be used only for the purposes, and disclosed only to the people, shown within these codes of practice.
- Only personal data will be held which is adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose for which the data is held.
- Steps will be taken to ensure that personal data is accurate and where necessary, kept up to date.
- Personal data will be held for no longer than is necessary.
- Individuals will be allowed access to information held about them and, where appropriate, permitted to correct or erase it.
- Procedures will be implemented to put in place security measures to prevent unauthorised or accidental access to, alteration, disclosure, or loss and destruction of, information.
What can you expect from us
We will ensure that cameras are located to capture images relating directly to the purposes of the CCTV system and ensure that there is clear signage indicating where cameras are in place and the reason why.
We will only allow access to the information in accordance with subject access rights and to third parties only in limited circumstances, directly related to the purposes of the CCTV system (e.g. the police, Trading Standards, solicitors).