Household waste and recycling centres | Household waste and recycling centres | Oldham Council
Get a coronavirus vaccination

Vaccinations are now available to anyone aged 12 or above. Anyone over 12 can book online. Anyone over 16 can visit one of our local vaccine clinics without an appointment.

Get a vaccination

Recycling Centres can be used free of charge for waste and recycling from your home. This includes waste from the normal day–to–day household activities and DIY projects.

The Household Waste Recycling Centre which is based in Oldham is

Neighbouring Household Waste Recycling Centres are:

Oldham’s Renew shop is OPEN

You can buy preloved items at affordable prices at three Recycle For Greater Manchester recycling centres including at Arkwright Street in Oldham.

The shops stock a wide variety of homeware, garden furniture, toys, sports equipment, books and more. Items have been donated by residents, cleaned and repaired before being handpicked by staff to be included in the shops.

Image of the Renew shop logo and identity


For further information follow the link below

Household Waste Visits 

  • Cars can visit up to 52 times a year (a year runs from 1 April – 31 March)
  • Vans under 2 metres will also be allowed access for residents to bring their household waste.
  • Vans under 3.5 tonnes can visit 18 times a year
  • Vans over 3.5 tonnes can visit 12 times a year
  • Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) and CCTV is in place across all sites to monitor vehicle visits and there is strictly no trade waste accepted.

Any traders wanting to bring their waste should use the weighbridges at the recycling centres as trade waste isn’t accepted through the household waste recycling centres.

A new contactless payment system is being introduced for traders who do not have an account at the recycling centres, and PPE must be worn at all times.

Vans and twin axle trailers

If you wish to use a van, hire van, pickup truck, or twin axle trailer to take your household waste to a household waste recycling centre, then you need to apply for a permit before you visit. 

The permit applies to any van designed to carry cargo, pickup trucks and cars towing a twin axle trailer. 

Any vehicle (including vans) carrying trade waste are not permitted at the household waste recycling centre. The sites are for residents who wish to dispose of their household waste. 

How do I get a permit? 

Apply online for a van/twin axle permit - R4GM website

The permit is free of charge and valid for 12 months (1 April to 31 March). Permits are processed within 2 working days (not including bank holidays and weekends). 

The visit limits are reset each year, you do not have to reapply. 

How many visits will I have when I apply for my permit? 

When you apply, the visits you have made since 1 April 2021 will be deducted from your 18 per year allowance. The number of visits will automatically reset to 18 from 1 April 2022. 

You can use the permit at any of the 20 household waste recycling centres in the 9 council areas of Greater Manchester.  

Vehicles over 2 metres 

If you have a van or pickup truck over 2 metres high, then you can use the permit at any of the transfer loading stations which is where the council vehicles tip off. Find your nearest recycling centre. 

Using your permit 

Once your application has been approved, you will receive a QR code. Please show this to the SUEZ operative at the gate of the HWRC, the SUEZ operative will scan the QR code. 

You don’t need to print the code as you can show the QR code on your phone or mobile device.

You can print it off and keep a physical copy of the code in your van if that's more convenient but please keep the copy free of creases and avoid folding the code. The permit allows you to visit 18 times in a year (1 April to 31 March). 

Can I have more than one permit? 

No, only one permit is allowed per household. If you drive a vehicle adapted to carry a wheelchair, you do not need to apply for a permit. 

Only one permit is allowed per household, even if you have several different vans 

Hiring a van to get rid of waste 

You will need to register for a permit if you plan to hire a van or twin axle trailer for short-term hire. You will need to take your hire documents to the site with you, as an operative will ask to see them.  

Please allow 2 workings days for your application to be processed. If you are having work done by tradespeople, then this is classed as trade waste and is chargeable.  

Your trader should remove their waste and dispose of it at a trade waste facility or by using a skip. Traders may build these costs into your overall service charge. 

If you have a van registered in your employer’s name or company vehicle  

You will need to contact Suez at to provide an alternative form of evidence (such as a letter from the employer or lease documentation). Again, such a vehicle can only be used to deliver the residents’ own household waste to the recycling centre. 

If you have a car and use a twin axle trailer then your 18 visits with your permit will still be recorded on our ANPR system, therefore will be counted as part of your 52 visits per year. 

If you have any queries or are having technical problems with your application, or have been waiting more than 2 working days for confirmation of your permit, please email:

Recycling Centre Rules

  • No trade waste
  • Sort you waste and recycling before you visit
  • No pedestrian access
  • Please make sure you don’t block access for other road users