• For larger projects consider employing a professional agent to advise you
  • Discuss the extent of your arrangement with your professional. Does it involve the preparation of plans only, or is site supervision part of the package?
  • If you consider that your project is small, and doesn’t require a professional, get advice from someone from the industry who you know and trust
  • Always get at least three quotations and have them checked
  • Do not automatically go for the cheapest quote
  • How to select a builder for a home extension

Questions to ask a builder

  1. Where have you worked before?
  2. Are you happy to show examples of your work?
  3. What is your expertise in this project?
  4. How do you want to be paid (on completion or in stages)?
  5. Can you supply references from satisfied clients?
  6. Are you happy to accept a retention clause?
  7. Will you give a final completion date?
  8. Will you accept a penalty clause if you fail to complete on time?
  9. Will you agree to independent arbitration should you have any dispute?

Builder contracts

You can contact the Joint Contract Tribunal for a comprehensive contract (there is a small fee for this).

  • Phone: 0121 722 8200

The role of Building Control officers

The officers can provide advice but are limited to ensuring that the work meets minimum Building Regulation standards.

Officers cannot provide a quality control service and should not be used as a substitute for an architect, clerk of works or other professional advisor.

If you are unfamiliar with the requirements of the building regulations, we would strongly advise that you employ somebody who is.